home sweet home: deck life

Wednesday, July 15, 2015


The hubs finally got around to staining our deck this past weekend. I had picked the color of stain and purchased months ago, but alas with all the rain and such (and prepping for a new baby), he finally got a few pretty days to get it done recently while out on "paternity leave". Cade "helped" of course. I love the way the color turned out and it has made such a huge difference. While we would have loved to have had a covered porch (first choice, but our house plan didn't allow that to be an easy addition), or some sort of screened in porch, the 16x16 low deck was an easy, cost effective add on when we built and since it was so low we didn't need railings so we added large steps all the way around the corner. 

We have big plans for our outdoor area in the future, but that's the beauty of "outside". While you can't always add on to your inside square footage easily, the options are endless outside. Well, if the budget allows. We are trying to save up and work on grass, landscaping around the deck, a concrete stamped patio coming off the deck, walkway to garage concrete pad, etc... for the future. All in good time! So I figured since I've already shown Charlie's Nursery and our Powder Room, we'd take it outside and share our small deck/outdoor space.

Last August I got an amazing "End of Summer" deal on outdoor furniture at one of my favorite home decor sites, Home Decorator's Collection. You can read more about that here and thus the reason the furniture is purple (not my favorite color or something I would have just chosen off the top of my head) because it was on major sale. That's enough reason to buy for me!

I immediately began to think of what fun colors I could put with the purple, as if it were a fun challenge, and I was drawn to a lime green. I also knew I wanted to re-use the indoor/outdoor Ballard Designs rug from our sunroom too. Throw in a couple of new Ballard outlet pillows monogrammed by a sweet friend and our old TJ Maxx chairs and voila! Here's how it turned out...

I don't care what color this furniture is, it is beyond comfy. So nice to sit out there and prop your feet up. I did that a lot while pregnant...well, when it was cool enough!



just when you thought I had shown you the full view, SURPRISE! Yep, there's a Big Green Egg at the end of the deck and while yes, we use it ALL the time and it's great to entertain out there while Chad is cooking, we would eventually love to have some sort of outdoor shed/shop area with covered spot for it and his smoker. The hubs is serious about his grilling y'all and I think he needs his own space. For now, we're making it work, just not my favorite view from inside. Sorry honey.




these concrete planters are from our old house and before that my granparents, so I think they've been around my whole life!



This rug has held up to chalk, crayons, loads of dirt, etc... as it was in our "sunroom" transformed into "playroom" in our old house. Now it's holding up pretty darn well outside on the deck. I swear Ballard Designs makes the best indoor/outdoor rugs. The welcome mat is from Target.


When I spotted this lonely, lonesome outdoor leopard pillow in a clearance bin at Ballard Outlet I knew it had to come home with me. Wasn't really sure how it would look out there, but eeeeh leopard really is a neutral right? I think she fits in just fine. The chairs and cushions are from TJ Maxx and were used at our old house too. The small blue table is from Ikea. I've been meaning to spraypaint but that may never happen.


My mom graciously helped me plant all of my flowers in the Spring since I was majorly prego. They haven't all taken off just yet, but man the sweet potato vines have. Oh and it just so happens they coordinate into the purple/lime green color scheme effortlessly :)

So there you have it. Our small thrifty little deck area that has been a labor of love for all of us. Can't wait for more deck sittin' and sippin' on Summer nights and entertaining straight through Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

copyright @sandimcclain 2019