home sweet home: the powder room

Monday, June 29, 2015

Finally getting around to sharing a few photos of the new casa. Since I'm in nesting mode, cleaning like crazy and trying to make sure everything is "finished" (which I do not think it will ever be)...I figured this would be a good time. I tried to kick things off by sharing Charlie's nursery.

Again, no room is really 100% finished and may not ever be, the more we change things, move things, etc. However if I wait around to share photos when it IS in fact just like I want it, then you guys may be waiting around to see pics in 2020. Real talk.

So here's one of my favorite rooms in the house. Our house plan allowed for a pretty decent size guest bathroom. It's right off the main living area and straight across from our master bedroom door. I found the rug at Pottery Barn outlet first and it sort of inspired the whole room. I knew I wanted it to be rustic, eclectic, with fun brass fixtures/accessories (that also mimic hardware in our living room and kitchen, so it flows). I was prepared to splurge a bit because hey, if guests come over this is one of the rooms they're always going to use of course.

Three things to note about this room/words of advice:

1. We wanted something fun on the walls. Ok, so *I* wanted wallpaper. I fought for it. Told the hubs a million times how wallpaper was back in trend (I had just recently done wallpaper in Sugar's dressing rooms at that time) and well, no such luck. He never disagreed with me on really anything, but the wallpaper was his one vice. He said NO WAY Jose. Do I think I could talk him into it later? Why, yes, but for now on our fresh and new drywall, we have an awesome paint color that we both love, love, love. I wanted a navy with the slightest tinge of teal and we went through TONS of paint swatches. Finally I went with my gut with Benjamin Moore's "In the Midnight Hour". It's perfect and hey, we can always add a fun wallpaper on the ceiling later and have the best of both worlds! Compromise.

2. We always had this idea for a "rustic/eclectic" powder room and we planned to convert my grandparent's antique washstand (that was in our sunroom at our old house) into a vanity. I had seen it on Pinterest, of course, and was obsessed. Our builder said it was super easy to do, just drill holes and pop a vessel sink on top. No problem. BUT the problem was that after we got everything framed up, we took measurements and realized that it was going to be just a few tad inches too wide for the space. That was a bit of a disappointment, but there's going to be a lot of surprises when building. I definitely found that out.

So back to the drawing board I went and found a super simple Restoration Hardware freestanding vanity I loved with a marble top, but I did not love the price. I asked our cabinet guy could he whip one up and he gave me an amazing price (like, a third of what RH was going to charge for it). So we mimicked this vanity and found remnant white macaubas granite (looks a lot like marble) and created our powder room vanity for a very reasonable price (good thing, because it was definitely not in the budget. Always allow for contingencies! They happen) So word of advice: always check with your local peeps first to see what they can come up with before buying anything retail!

3. I thought we would only have a granite backsplash on the BACK of the vanity, but when I came in one day the vanity was flushed up against the wall and had a backsplash and a side. I did not love at first, yet I did not pitch a fit. Again, I was just ecstatic to be building a house and I let a lot slide off my back. I was just grateful for anything. Now I am totally ok with the way the vanity is flushed towards the wall and realize had it not been, I would have drove myself nuts trying to get into that little nook & cranny to clean between the wall and the vanity. So win, win. If I could go back and change it, I may...but then I may not. So another word of advice: be there when the granite is installed. HA!

Ok so without further rambling, here she is. 

You can tell our living room paint color (SW Worldly Gray) looks so different just from one lighting to the next. It looks more beige on one wall in the hallway, then more grey on the actual foyer wall. Yep, that's the same color. Crazy, right?


Wall Color: Benjamin Moore In the Midnight Hour
Trim and Vanity Color: Sherwin Williams Pure White
Rug: Pottery Barn Outlet
Toilet Paper Holder: Thirty One Gifts

Mirror is an antique from my papa Hall's house. It was in their living room as long as I've remembered
Faucet and towel holder: Delta Cassidy Champagne Bronze
Granite: White Macaubas remnant from Solid Rock Granite in Elberton, GA
Vanity Light: Kichler (and I just realized I need to take that sticker off!! Oops)
Vanity Hardware: Martha Stewart from Home Depot (also used in our kitchen)
So I knew I wanted an eclectic gallery wall on one wall, full of antique photos framed in gold frames. I am a dork and love, love, love old photos. Seems a little crazy for a powder room but I gained inspiration from here and here

I have so many more photos to frame and get up there, but this large group photo is a 1956 employee group photo from the Abbeville Shirtmaster Company. It includes my grandma Hall and again, just thought it was a cool piece of history to preserve. 

The velvet European mount is Chad's dads. I'll post more pics once I {ever finally} get this wall gallery done.


My other question for all of you out there is what the heck do I put above the toilet? Blank space there is killin me but I'm at a loss right now. So therefore it will sit on the "back burner" along with everything else and may be finished in 2020.

For now, we will just enjoy. More house pics to come soon!

6 comments:

  1. 1. I'm 75% sure i've seen that same Abbeville plant photo at my grandma's house b/c my great grandmother was pictured in it. Not totally sure, but would be pretty neat if it was.

    2. could you add a vintage print behind the toilet? you could get something manly like a vintage travel poster (http://www.art.com/products/p10613092592-sa-i6071784/lantern-press-south-carolina-sailboat.htm?sOrig=CAT&sOrigID=12069&dimVals=12069-1837&ui=0053C0EE8E7A479FB6C07094FEF2884A) or antique clock. if you can't find one (b/c they might be really expensive), you could always get one that looks similar (http://www.worldmarket.com/product/norah-gray-wash-wood-clock.do?&from=fn)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We must look into the pic to see if your great-grandmother is in it!

      Delete
  2. I love it!! i thought the navy would be really dark but, it still looks pretty bright in there!! love how you're doing the gallery wall!! it will lok great once done!! & i'm clueless over the toilet - I've wondered the same thing with ours!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's so hard! I guess I'll just have pictures errrrrwhere. and yes, I'm glad it didn't turn out too terribly dark. I think going with a stark white vanity brightened it up! See, it all worked out for a reason :)

      Delete
  3. I'm obsessed! That gold hardware has me swooning! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! I could have used "all gold everything" throughout the entire house. Seriously, obsessed!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

copyright @sandimcclain 2019