cozy breakfast nook

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

I love our little breakfast nook. 

I love all the natural light from the big bay window. I love the cozy jute rug. I love the brass light fixture.


Yep, it's little (I nearly fell out when I saw the size while building) but it has worked so well for us the past four months we've been here. 

We eat almost every meal here as a family of three, soon to be four, because it's plenty of room for just us. We have been using our trusty ol' {faux wood} black table and chairs from our old house that we purchased from Wal-Mart for a measly $100 when we got married. It had served us so well, but a couple months ago when my in-laws remodeled their kitchen, said they needed a bigger dining area and asked if we wanted their current solid oak table and chairs...we said um, yes. Of course! 

My mother in law, who is an absolute saint, painted the base of the table and the chairs {a gift to her from her brother, who passed away a few years ago so it also has such special meaning to us and we wanted to keep in the family} white chalk paint. Then she stained the top a super dark espresso color. Almost black, really. I love it. I told her the whole time I could do it, but with me being pregnant she insisted. Again, the woman is a SAINT. 

My father in law brought the table over this past weekend, since the chairs have cushions and still need to be recovered (I've yet to decide on a fabric). It still works great with our other chairs and we are so grateful for this gift from them. Major upgrade.

Now the only thing we are waiting on for this "breakfast nook"/kitchen to be complete is to fill the empty space you see to the left of that pic between where the kitchen cabinets end and the bay window begins. I am waiting on a buffet table to arrive (more on that below) and plan to transform the space into an even more cozy little setting.

Here's my inspiration from all along. Our kitchen is (to me...) a little French country inspired maybe? I just know a lot of what I get to decorate with is from Ballard Designs and let's face it - that's kinda their vibe. Mine too. I love it, as long as it's mixed with some modern updates and quirks.

I knew I wanted a cozy breakfast nook with a buffet table and rustic (or gold!) chalkboard above to put quotes, holiday accents, menus and more. I love to draw, so that would be not only easy but fun for me. Why not add more ways to have FUN in a kitchen, right?








So yeah we are just waiting on the buffet table that we ordered months ago from one of my friends who is an interior designer (it was a great price!) to go there. It isn't exactly like this one but very similar and that pretty distressed blue. I knew with all the gray cabinetry and gray walls, I needed to pack some punch and go bold with the color of the buffet table. Black or white just wasn't going to cut it, plus blues are kinda my thing. Turquoise is my favorite color and we have blues all throughout the house.
I can't wait to fill it with pretty serving pieces and more of our everyday china. Also it will be perfect as a "drink station" or "bar" area when we hosts parties. So fun. It was expected to be here mid-June, so we are all still patiently waiting!

Now the last thing is the chairs to go with the table are white and the seats just need to be recovered. I want to do a fun print maybe, that incorporates colors from the kitchen and maybe living area since it's so close?


or I could go with a geo print since I used florals in the dining room?


and while I love both of these, the floral on the left would pull in all colors. The white chairs, the gray cabinets, the blue buffet table, and the browns/blues in our living room too!


Who knows when I will decide, but definitely soon once the buffet table arrives and I can see the true color. Can't wait to see the end result.

Up next, I'm going to share a few more pics around the casa since I am major nesting and stuck up in the a/c waiting on this baby to arrive. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Cuuuute!! I love it!! I can't wait to see it all together! Can you come decorate my house next!? LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

copyright @sandimcclain 2019