west palm beach in 36 hours

Tuesday, February 28, 2017


So last Wednesday I left out of GSP at 6:30am (that called for a 3:45am wake up call so I could leave the house by 4:30am and make it to GSP by 5:30). Quick layover in Atlanta put me finally arriving in WPB around 10:30ish. After grabbing my luggage, I waited on my college roomie/bestie/sorority sister Cameron to pick me up. She's in food sales and recently took a promotion which moved her from N Myrtle Beach to Tampa! She loves it and said it was an easy three hour drive to WPB. I didn't know what to do not having a taxi/Uber to rely on and often forgot "oh yeah , we can just drive there!". Cam had never been to WPB and even though I'd only visited twice to order Lilly in the past, I still had a few "must do's" and also "wanna try's" on my list.

First stop. The Breakers. We had lunch here years ago and 1). I knew it was something Cameron just had to see and 2). the truffle fries on the menu. Yes, please. We walked around, scoped out the Lilly store (I love looking at windows, merchandising, etc...) then opted for lunch at The Seafood Bar, which had amazing views of the ocean and a bar that is literally a fish tank. I had a Seafood Mary and I swear the shrimp on top was as big as my hand. We split the Shrimp Cocktail and Seafood Club with truffle fries. Delish. You gotta love seafood though!


Windy day but the rain held off. To travel, I wore my fav Spanx leggings, a long lightweight Kerisma tee which we just sold out of +  Lilly Pulitzer's Lucita Cardigan and my favorite Sam Edelman leopard flats

After lunch, we browsed around some more. Did you know Sofia Vergara had her wedding reception in the ballroom at The Breakers? Um, yes. To die for. While I probably won't ever splurge that much to stay there (my mom actually did years ago with my stepdad and ended up in an elevator with some the Roosevelts!! What the what??), you can certainly use the complimentary valet parking and go have lunch there while pretending to stay there. Trust me. 

From there we headed back down S County Road and stopped by C. Orrico, one of the flagship stores that emerged when Lilly Pulitzer relaunched in the mid-90s. It's THE place for Lilly Pulitzer, Jude Connally, Milly, Tibi, and all things preppy in West Palm. A fantastic store owned by three sisters. They now have seven stores, actually. Cameron picked up a cute gator canvas tote and then the rain began to drizzle...then pour.




We decided to head to the hotel to see if the room would happen to be ready (this was around 1-1:30 and check in wasn't until 4pm). Well, we arrived at The Colony (gorgeous, boutique style hotel basically right on Worth Avenue that I stayed at both times before, so it was familiar - and also far more expensive this time since the complete recent 18 million and 5 year remodel. Whew) and the room wasn't ready. We decided to brave the rain and shop on Worth Avenue for a bit, then came back to Polo, the hotel bar/restaurant while it came up a major storm!! Luckily it wasn't long before they said the room was ready so around 3ish, we went up. Each room is decorated differently and the hallways. My. word. After taking in the room's amazing decor, we decided to get in a quick nap before dinner reservations at Renato's and when I woke up the sun was starting to peep through the clouds. Hallelujah!

lobby at The Colony
our room was decorated in navy and emerald green and it was stunning!
Before dinner we strolled down Worth Avenue and I took Cameron to Taboo, one of Lilly's favorite spots for dinner! This place exudes Palm Beach. From the leopard print bar stools to the Baby Grand as soon as you enter. Dark, sultry and chic. It is everything. You must go and you must try the Palm Beach Martini! 

We later strolled around the Vias and ended up at Renato's (on Via Mizner, the small quaint street where it all began for Lilly Pulitzer. This is where she had her juice stand!) around 8:00pm for our reservation. The. best. Italian. that I've had in the US (I studied abroad in Italy for 6 weeks during college and I will tell you, Renato's is the only thing that comes close) We split the smoked salmon appetizer and I had the classic ravioli caprese'. We were so stuffed that we couldn't even attempt dessert. Back to the hotel to Facetime with the boys before bedtime (they were up late with daddy!) and get a good night's sleep. Heaven for this tired mama!

of course it was still drizzling when we left so we had to go back inside and get our rain jackets!

Al fresco dining at Renato's 
This new Lilly clutch for Spring is my favorite. Finally got myself a classic Lilly straw clutch and love it!!
The next morning it was up and at em' early to walk over to our 9:30 appointment to see Fall17! It was just a few blocks away, so we loaded up on coffee at the cute coffee shop in the hotel, then began the scenic walk over. It's just all so gorgeous, I could have taken a million pics because every step was better than the next.

the cutest coffee shop inside our hotel. that wallpaper!!



the water fountain right outside the Lilly showroom/office buildings
the foyer/waiting area right inside Lilly's showroom
Fall looked amazing (too bad I can't give sneak peeks!) and after we placed our orders, we headed back to The Colony to check out and have lunch at Polo out by the pool. I was so sad they took the Monte Cristo off the menu, because I had seriously been craving it since last time we were there but I opted for the grilled chicken salad with strawberries, blue cheese, walnuts and balsamic and it was delish. Oh and this view! The Colony is just classic Palm Beach.



After lunch, we decided to drive around and check out all of the beach front houses (my jaw hit the floor. Like, I can't...) and stopped for a few quick pics by the ocean. We scoped out Lilly Pulitzer's estate and I hate I didn't get a pic but I was using my phone to get the address/Google maps.







After major sight seeing, we decided to take a quick stop by the outlets before I needed to get to the airport. I loaded up on major sale items at Janie & Jack for baby girl (my niece) and a cute reversible tee for Charlie. For my Cade, it was kinetic sand from the airport and I bought them both a shark beach bag with beach toys :) 

It was a whirlwind time, but SO MUCH FUN. We worked, we ate, we laughed, we shopped, we napped. Just what this mama needed. Hope to visit again and take even more girlfriends...my mom...sister...etc for another fun girls weekend away! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

copyright @sandimcclain 2019