Cade's Barnyard Bash!

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Howdy!

First of all, holy SNOW! 

We have been snowed in for three days now in the Upstate of SC. I can't even believe it (nor can I hardly take it anymore as cabin fever has set in). Chad did take me to the store today to process some online orders, but other than that we have been camping out over at our in laws for fear the power would go out and we would be stuck at home with no heat. They at least have gas logs. I'm so surprised the power didn't go out with all the snow and ice we have had. We didn't take any chances.

So, anyhoo. It gave me time to upload Cade's 2nd birthday party pics. Crazy to think it was a pretty, sunny 60 degree day just this past Sunday at his party. We decided to go with a barnyard/tractor/farm animal theme because it's all of Cade's favorite things. It was really a fun theme to roll with and I found the best {cheap} stuff at Oriental Trading, Hobby Lobby and Michaels. Last year we just had a small crowd at our small house and were still busting at the seams, so this year we decided to have it at the Lowndesville Schoolhouse (two minutes from our house). It's literally an old schoolhouse that the community uses for a voting spot, singings, pageants, you name it. I feel like every small town in the South has got one, ya know. It was perfect because there was plenty of room for the kids to run and play inside and with a Feb birthday, I'm never really sure about the weather. It did end up being a pretty day though!

(Disregard my crappy wrapping job in this pic. One thing about me, I LOVE planning a good party...but I am a tad bit last minute. I usually come up with my ideas far ahead of time, but you see... implementing them always happens at the last minute. Sigh. What can I say? I work best under pressure!)
Easy to decorate with burlap from the fabric sale, Cade's toy tractors, large mason jars I found super cheap at Dented Deals in Abbeville and the chalkboard label stickers at the $1 bin at Michaels. The cow wrapping paper was from Tractor Supply at Christmas time.

Not going to lie. I stole a lot of ideas from Pinterest for this party, but I had fun scouting out how to re-create them and adding my own touch. These little pails were from Wal-Mart and again, the chalkboard sticker labels were in packs in the Michaels $1 bin!!


See that chalkboard cutting board in the background? That was a $3 TJ Maxx clearance find the week of the party.
The wooden chalkboard food labels were also in packs of 5 for $1 at Michaels. I simply wrote on them (and the chalkboard stickers) with a fine white paint pen instead of chalk pen. The "grass and picket fence" is at Hobby Lobby right now because they already have their Easter out...of course.



Obviously before we had everything set up. The gingham tablecloth was a $2 steal from Colemans outlet in Commerce. Everything else Hobby Lobby or Wal Mart. I know how to find some deals, y'all!


Another "steal"...this adorable farmer's market shelf with chalkboard I snagged from Home Decorators after Christmas. I used for the party for popcorn (one of Cade's favorite things in the whole wide world) but I actually plan to use in my store windows at Sugar for my "Lilly Pulitzer juice stand". How cute. It was such a great deal!


I found this precious prayer on Pinterest and had to re-create on the chalkboard from Sugar.
How sweet is this?


His party invite (from Minted). Uh, that rooster cookie jar? From my kitchen. 


The cow print party favor bags and raffia were from Hobby Lobby. The favor tags from Sweet Peach Paperie on Etsy. She has amazing stuff!


Sometimes being last minute means you run out of time to paint the wooden "2" from Hob Lob. Oops!



One of my favorite things on this table is "The Little Hen" book Chad and I bought Cade from a Biltmore shop when we went last month. I meant to have guest sign it, but forgot. It's just another addition to his book collection and I'll have to put his birthday party date inside.


His cake? Amazing (even though a little crooked since it slid a bit in my car. Another oops)
Kim Brown from Liberty, SC has done my nephews/friends kids cakes for years and did Cade's cake last year. I can not say enough good things about her. You literally send her a picture and boom...done. She is amazing and the cake TASTES SO GOOD! Seriously look her up on Facebook if you are in the area and need a cake.

plastic barn doors from Amazon (my mother in law ordered but they have at Hob Lob) and again, wrapping paper from Tractor Supply served as tablecloth
I borrowed the apple baskets, trays, and bandanas from my friend Beth who had her girls a cowgirl party years ago. Most all of the yummy food was made by my in-laws and sis-in-law. Seriously, they are amazing.
My father in law smoked a boston butt and we had BBQ sandwiches and sliders with all the fixings.
I made these little food labels out of mini brown paper bags folded, then tore the wooden chalkboard signs apart from Michaels and hot glued them on. Add a little burlap to the back and voila!


Let the party begin! Some of my favorite gals...


We had another barnyard background when you first walked in. Amazed that we are all looking at the camera and smiling in this one...


Also, this...I love. 


My friend Beth came from Greenville and college roomie Cameron came up to stay all weekend from Charleston. They are Cade's honorary "aunties". Cameron was a HUGE help all weekend helping me pull this off. 



with "Aunt Monk"...


The kids table. They all got cowboy hats and bandanas (from Oriental Trading, along with the gingham plates and napkins)...


Sweet little Hayden may have had the best outfit of them all. That hiney!!!! I can't even handle the cuteness.


"Whatchu talkin' bout woman?" Cade loved his new "fo fo" (four-wheeler) from Mimi and Papa. My word, that's all this child talks about and helloooo he just got a tractor for Christmas. Can you say spoiled????


bffs Cade & Blakely.



also bffs just like their daddies...
Cade and baby Troy. So stinkin' cute!!! Sweet boys


The powerwheels race got a bit cray cray, but boy did these kiddos have so much fun!







After Cade blew out his candles, he asked for the piggie from his cake. That's all he wanted from the first time he laid eyes on it...

Cade's smocked tee is by Vive le Fete that I snagged from market some time last year!


Aunt Coco and Uncle Mack


TOO funny...





Whew, I was exhausted on Sunday night but it was a BLAST and Cade is one lucky boy to have so many amazing people in his life. We are incredibly blessed with some pretty awesome friends and family. Huge thank you to everyone who came and also helped! Next year, we're all going to the zoo for a picnic and be done. 
 (Wait...I said that last year didn't I?)

2 comments:

  1. It all turned out soooo great!!! I'm like you... great ideas but, I work great under pressure too! HAHA! I bet Cade had so much fun!! Looks like He did at least!! Good job momma bear!!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

copyright @sandimcclain 2019