home sweet home: master bathroom

Saturday, August 8, 2015


I have so much to catch up on. We have been busy little bees...lots of workin', going to market, and just enjoying Summer. I'll try to catch up posts on the little ones soon (and share some pics from Charlie's newborn session) but for now here's a post I had drafted up to continue the house tour!

So far we've seen Charlie's nursery, the powder room, the back deck, and now {to continue this random-no-flow-at-all-house-tour}...our master bathroom!

Hands down, this seriously is my favorite room in the house. Ok, close tie with my kitchen but I do loooove my bathroom and knew I must create one I love, because I am certainly a girly girl and spend a lot of time "primping" {yeah, those natural beauties out there who can just get up and go in 10 minutes?... I envy you. Drying/straightening this unruly mane alone takes forever!) Also y'all. Confession: at our old home for nearly seven years we had plastic sinks (ok maybe it's called something else but I swear it seemed plastic...) and parts of it had melted/burn marks because my straightener and curling iron got too close to it. Just remember that when reading all this...can you say major upgrade? My plastic sinks served us well but what a blessing and absolute TREAT our new house has been.

Our house plan called for vaulted ceilings in our master bath. After nixing tray ceilings in the master bedroom and dining, we knew keeping the vaulted ceilings in the bathroom was a must. It really opens up the space and never leaves me chlostrophobic when feeling like a million degrees while drying my hair/steam from shower/etc...We also nixed a few other things to splurge a bit in the master and create a spa-like space that we love. First up, we opted to splurge on a tile shower and to save money for this splurge, nix a tub. We just aren't "bath people" at all. I knew if I ever got the urge to take a bath I would have one in Cade's bathroom so for us - it was just an easy nix. Again, everyone has their own "must haves" or "can do withouts" and that's the beauty of building a custom home!

However, after talking with our builder and knowing this may not be our "forever home", we left space next to the shower in case we ever wanted to add a free standing tub for resale purposes (or if we stay forever, I'm old and want to take more baths :) It's not a big space at ALL but it would definitely fit a {very small} pretty clawfoot tub in the future. At least that's what I see there one day!

For now, to fill that space, we are using an antique cabinet from my dad's shop as linen storage and also have a full length standing mirror/jewelry armoire which I love!
Wall Color: Benjamin Moore "Cashmere Gray"
Trim Color: Sherwin Williams "Pure White"
I also love our floors. We went back and forth about what to do in here. At first we just thought we may use some sort of vinyl planks that looked like hardwood, but we ultimately nixed more elsewhere to splurge on ceramic tile (that yes, looks like wood!) This gave us the look we wanted plus the guarantee that the floors would withstand any moisture in the bathroom and last a lifetime.

Tile: Mannington "Wilderness" in Dry Kindle
Rug: Pottery Barn Outlet
Cabinet Color: Sherwin Williams "Anonymous"
Hardware: Restoration Hardware
Jewelry Storage Mirror: TJ Maxx
Roman Shade: Pottery Barn
One of the places we nixed to get our ceramic tile floors (see how this works? Building and staying on budget is nothing but a game of give and take. Whew!) was the glass shower door. I mean, who knew those dang doors were like $800 or more? When we found out it could easily be added on later, we knew it would be wise just to go ahead and spend that money on the tile floors. Something that would be a PAIN to go back and "add later". I had seen a few ideas on Pinterest and knew I could come up with an idea for the tile shower - without a glass door. Indeed I used a cheap, extra long shower curtain from Amazon and mounted with tension rod, then I realized I still had these {FREE} long curtains I had once used at Sugar to frame out a dressing room mirror. Mounted those on another tension rod so when we take a shower we just pull the shower curtain across, see what I mean? (We pull the curtains out so they don't wet at the bottom though) So this little project costs me less than $50 and for now, totally works. Winning.


Oh and this is "faux marble" tile mixed with real basketweave marble in the niche. Another way we saved $$$. I didn't have exact name of the faux marble tile but I can find out. I was amazed at how great it turned out with the gray grout...



To save money we also nixed double sinks. We had double sinks at our old house and only used one anyways. Plus I knew I wanted a big vanity area! My vanity chair isn't exactly what I wanted but I've yet to find one I love, nor have I gotten a teak wooden shower bench for the shower either. There's a long wish list around here that's for sure!

Mirrors: Scalloped Frameless Mirrors from Target
Granite: White Macaubus remnant from Solid Rock Granite 
(also used in our Powder Room)
Vanity Bench: Target
but oh how I LOVE my vanity area and my bathroom cabinets. Plenty of storage and I have everything {i mean lots bc I'm a beauty product addict!) organized in all the drawers.



My huge makeup drawer was one of my must haves and it. is. my. jam. I love it and used $1 Dollar Tree contact paper to line + acrylic makeup organizer from TJ Maxx + plastic storage containers from BB&B to organize it all.


When you nix the other sink, you can afford to make the one sink you do have look pretty amazing. Hello gorgeous chrome faucet! 
Faucet: Delta Dryden in Chrome
and I'm pretty obsessed with our crystal vanity lights. This picture does not do justice!

Vanity Lights: Golden Lighting "Neeva" Collection
Again, in this antique cabinet, we keep our towels and I have a few baskets to hold nail polish, extra small toiletries, etc...or as Chad says "my knick knacks"


So that's it! 

That's where I primp. That's where the grubby hubby gets clean.
That's where we spray down our muddy toddler {when needed}.

Just for kicks, here's my master bathroom inspiration to refer back to.

It's girly enough for me, yet it's durable enough for my messy men in this household.
It just works for US and again, that's what building a house is all about. I'm so glad it was one of our "splurges".

2 comments:

  1. Sandi it looks beautiful!! I love everything about it! Funny that you mentioned about not needing double sinks - I've told Matt that I wanted them in the next house but, only have a single sink now & it works just fine, duh! & That shower tile!!! Insert alll the heart eyes here!! You must find out what it's called, it is beautiful!!! And I too love the slate tile floors! They are so pretty yet, durable & easy to upkeep (none!) that they are certainly worth the splurge! Those are at the top of the wish list for the next house! Love it all though - you did SO good!!! It looks great!!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

copyright @sandimcclain 2019