designing a kitchen.

Thursday, August 28, 2014

We met with our cabinet guy on Monday to go over details and take final measurements for all cabinets [Totally surreal]. This was to ensure the plumber knew where all the sinks were going too. It was so great to draw out our kitchen peninsula on the plywood floor and truly see the layout of the kitchen. The stove, fridge, pantry, etc... it was neat because I am such a visual person and had to see.


In the plan we chose, it's more of an C-shaped kitchen design, so they call it. We chose that just because of personal preference. We could have opened the kitchen up to the living area, but we opted for our dining room/foyer to be open to our living area rather than the kitchen. Because of this, we don't have a big kitchen island, but rather a kitchen peninsula that will house our sink and act as the main "hub" for entertaining. It's a small space, very compact, but my goal was for every inch to be maximized to have what we need! To say that we are excited about a new kitchen is an understatement. You guys have no idea what we've been working with (or lack there of) for the past six years....

So let's get some ideas for the new kitchen, shall we. 

First up, we have decided to go gray. It's all the rage now, right? No seriously, we knew with our white cabinets now that we didn't want that again, and as much as I loved two toned (dark lower cabinets, light upper cabinets), Chad didn't "get it" so we compromised on a true medium = gray. We think it will be perfect for our messy chef (ahem, Chad) and it really is the new neutral these days. I do not see myself getting tired of it at all. Chad loves it too. The question is....a medium gray like this...


or a light gray like this....
 (This kitchen is the first one I showed our builder from the get-go. LOVE)


Suggestions/votes are welcomed. Please!

Next, I also knew from the beginning that I wanted to incorporate open shelving. It may not seem practical to most, but for me it's just as practical to have all of our "daily essentials" readily available right there on open shelves next to the sink, as well as it is beautiful.


Another must for both of us: a big ol' indestructible sink.
We already have our one-basin-rectangle stainless undermount sink on order.
Extremely excited about that! 


Since we have a small, compact, kitchen (aka we kept lowering our sq footage of our plan to afford nicer amenities) we were able to do upgrades like tile backsplash. I'm in love with subway tile. Thinking gray grout? Fun pattern? Too many options, but man, I do love this...


Also happening: a mantle in the kitchen. Who woulda thought? 
Our builder is the bomb.com and totally "gets" everything I've wanted to do.
(This photo makes me confident classic subway tile pattern is the way to go)


A pantry with pull out shelves was also a must-have since we need to utilize/maximize every inch possible. This was actually first on my list! I am so tired of not even knowing what the heck is in the back of my pantry. Honestly, I'm scared to know.


Like I've mentioned in previous posts, we already have our Tolix inspired bar stools that we have already enjoyed for a while now. They will be easy to tuck under our small peninsula bar and with no backs on them, it will be easier to move by them between bar and small breakfast nook. It's going to be tight, but this will make it work.


As for lighting, there will be recessed lights and I'm thinking these little pendants for over the kitchen peninsula. I've looked and looked and looked, yet keep coming back to these. I also have an RH gift card from my Amex points, so they'll practically be free. Done deal!


Next up, we have to decide on granite and finalize appliances (nothing super fancy, just the basics). Never have I ever picked out granite before. I have no idea what to expect but I am sure I'm going to be extremely overwhelmed. Wait, no, I'm already overwhelmed.

Seriously so excited and can't wait to see all of my planning come together...finally.
Can you tell we've been dreaming of this for a very long time?

2 comments:

  1. Eeek! So exciting!! #1 I vote the lighter grey of the cabinets. #2 I vote the traditional subway tile look. It's a classic & won't ever go out of style. Plus, if you ever decide to change your cabinet color you're not stuck with certain colors in there (even though you said you won't but, it leaves you with options). Loooove the idea of a mantle in the kitchen & the pull out shelves in the pantry! We don't have a pantry in our current home, a lazy susan & things still get lost in there! I do have pull-out drawers/shelves in all my under cabinets & they're amazing! Makes digging for pots & pans a thing of the past & I'll def have them in any house from here on out - one way or another! Also, love those pendant lights!! I wanted to do something like that over our peninsula but, we didn't. Aaand picking out granite will be SO fun! It's overwhelming but, sound like you have a good idea of what you want everywhere else so, that might make it a bit easier!

    Congrats girl!! Exciting to hear all of the progress!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE your feedback! Thank you thank you. I'm leaning towards lighter cabinets too because the space is so small, I don't want to darken it, ya know? I am so excited, all tips and tricks welcomed from pros like you!! :) Have a good weekend!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

copyright @sandimcclain 2019